Health Centre of Vyronas
Until 1922 Greece did not have a ministry of Health and Welfare. Its creation was instigated by the wave of immigrants who came from Asia Minor. In 1937 it was decided that local hospitals and health centres should be created in various districts of Athens, including the municipality of Vyronas. The health centre of Vyronas was constructed in 1939 within the grove of the church of the Holy Trinity (Hagia Triada). It was inaugurated shortly before the outbreak of the Greek-Italian war of 1940 (beginning of WWII for Greece). It played an important role in nursing wounded soldiers. The victory of the Greek army in Korytsa, Albania, caused the change of name of the street on which it lay to “Korytsas”, due to the cheers for the soldiers. During the German occupation it served the citizens in many ways, as it distributed food and medicines. Its garden served as a cemetery and in its basement were hidden weapons for the resistance. After the liberation, the difficulties did not cease as for many years it lacked adequate personnel due to the fact that many doctors had been fired due to their political convictions. After 1976 the health centre's main duty was the care for the elderly. In 2003, after many decades of low-key function, it became the first official Health Centre in the National Health System of Greece.
During the early years of the settlement of the refugees in the grove of Hagia Triada were built public baths with a kiln for the cleansing of the people and the extinction of lice which pesetered them. The "de-licer", as was commonly called, functioned for many years, even after the construction of the baths (hammam) at the location called "Gefyra" (Bridge). The building was located between the polyclinic and the church of Hagia Triada until it was demolished in the 1990s.